It’s Friday afternoon and you’ve got your hands filled with shipping labels, cardboard boxes, and more packing peanuts than you can count. You need to get your packages out today to meet your customers Amazon level shipping expectations but ship happens. It’s time to find a better shipping solution for your ecommerce store.
Lucky for you, in this digital world, there’s a software solution, app or plugin for just about anything you could ask for. On the flip side, it makes deciding which one to use that much more difficult. The following three shipping solutions easily plug in with Magento and they’re fan faves around our green walls. But with everything, there are pros and cons to account for when picking the best solution for your business. From pricing to the number of shipments, to ease of use - we’ve got your answers for it all.
Based out of Austin, Texas, ShipStation was founded in 2010 and is a web-based shipping solution designed for ecommerce retailers to make them increasingly efficient at processing, fulfilling, and shipping orders from the most popular marketplaces and shopping carts.
- Pricing: $9 - $159 / month based on the number of shipments
- Number of Shipments: 50 - unlimited depending on the plan
- Sizing: Businesses of all sizes
- Carriers: USPS, UPS, FedEx, and DHL, Australia Post, Canada Post, Purolator, Royal Mail, Hermes, DPD and many more!
ShipStation fully integrates with Magento 1.X and has support for Magento Community, Enterprise, and Magento 2.X +. They regularly release updates for their Magento plugin to continue to improve the integration.
Some of the key differentiators are:
- Branded and customized labels, packing slips, and shipping confirmation emails
- Integrations with ERP systems like NetSuite and Acumatica, and over 25 shipping carriers (see the full list here)
- Return labels with every order and easily able to process returns
- Branded tracking, branded returns portal, and mobile app
- Automation rules allow for fewer clicks to batch print many shipping labels
ShipStation is best for ecommerce businesses that are looking for a shipping provider that can scale with them. Their built-in automation engine and focus on process efficiency give users a hands-off approach so they grow rapidly with lower overhead. With best in class customer service, we’d recommend ShipStation for small to large businesses who expect to grow quickly.
Started in Sydney, Australia and now headquartered in Austin, Texas, ShippingEasy prides itself on being the simplest online shipping app for online sellers. Their focus is on helping companies save time and money on shipping by reducing potential postal errors.
- Pricing: $0 - $99 / month, custom plan and pricing for enterprise
- Free plan for companies with less than 50 shipments/month
- Number of Shipments: 50 - 6,000 shipments (unlimited with the enterprise plan)
- Sizing: Small to Medium businesses
- Carriers: USPS, UPS, FedEx
ShippingEasy easily connects with Magento. However, ShippingEasy requires a version of Magento 1.8 or 1.9 and a minimum version of Magento 2.1.3 to properly integrate.
- Multi-user and location support
- Split, Combine, Recombine Orders
- Product catalog and image support
- All data is cloud-based
- Instantly prints shipping labels when an order is placed
ShippingEasy is best for ecommerce merchants that run their own stores. The ease of use of this platform is great for less tech-savvy merchants who are looking to make their shipping and fulfillment more efficient. We recommend them for small to medium size businesses looking for a simple solution with high levels of customer support.
Of course, no Magento shipping integration guide is complete without Magento Shipping. Magento Shipping is a single, multi-carrier solution with the goal to drive efficiency and enhance shipping experiences.
- Pricing: $99 - 349+ / month based on number of shipments
- Number of Shipments: 500 - unlimited
- Size: Mid-market businesses
- Carriers: USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, Australia Post, Hermes, DPD, UK Mail, YODEL
Magento merchants using Magento 2.2.2 or later have access to Magento Shipping.
- Manage multiple carriers from a single portal
- Carrier compliant shipping labels and documentation
- New carriers and carrier features without extension updates
Magento Shipping is best for mid-market companies looking to connect their carriers and process all their shipments within the Magento admin. Adding shipment processing into Magento allows users to automate processes all in one place allowing for further growth.
No matter how robust your business, there’s a shipping solution that can fit your needs. Each of these shipping solutions has different features and strengths, it just depends on what works best for your business. If you need help discovering that, let us know.